Monday, January 20, 2014

"There is nothing like impossible." Swami Rama


This morning as I thought about my hopes and dreams, I realized that my mind would quickly by pass relishing in the idea of success in achieving the dreams and move straight to "how to achieve." I want to know. I don't want to trust it will happen, I want the control of making it happen.

I don't think I am any different than many others. I think that we count on knowing and that knowing gives us a sense of control. And it is through the sense of control that we believe. Conversely, when we don't know how we will overcome our challenges, we become hopeless.

I would see this so often in climbing. A new route is cleaned, and one by one climbers approach it and start. Discussion ensues about how to do the moves. Then one person succeeds and suddenly everyone can do the move. One person completes the route and then suddenly everyone can complete the route... or at least more than no one. It is this knowing that keeps climbers in their comfort zone. I watch and when a beginner starts climbing, they make gains early. They move through difficulty relatively quickly while they are still in that experience of being so new, they do not know what they can and cannot do. Eventually, they understand what is hard for them and what is not. This is when they stop trying so hard on the things they know are challenging and stay with what they know. They plateau and they stop growing.

What if we just believe and then look for the things, events, opportunities that lead us in the direction of achieving our goals? What if we just stay curious?

No comments:

Post a Comment