Thursday, January 9, 2014

Never Give Up


Spent a few hours in the middle of the night wide awake and journaling. Slept in and did not get to meditate this morning. The challenge I put to Byron Katie's Judge Your Neighbor worksheet was my thoughts that life should be fair. I can recall this being my favorite angry and resentful retort to my parents as a child. I clearly remember my mother's reply, "Well, life is not fair."

With a little more wakefulness and separation from my restless night, I wonder about this. I am quite sure Victor Frankl would agree that life is not fair, and yet he did not let that help him survive a concentration camp and go on to create a treatment approach for people in therapy. Nor did this woman, Lizzie Velasquez in her description of her life experience in this TED talk.

So what do I really have to complain about? Not much really. I am not being fed barely enough to survive, not being asked to light myself on fire and do the world a favor by dying. I in fact have it pretty good. My real problem is that I keep expecting it to be better than it is.

Thanks Byron Katie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment