Saturday, January 25, 2014

What's your Unique Purpose

"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it." ~ Simon Sinek

I love this quote. And I love that he is right. This week I was in the middle of a disagreement with someone and this was a great reminder. Why? Because our argument was created because we disagree about the why.

My why for how I live my life, my purpose is to explore potential. Whether that is trying to understand how to be a better climber or how to help others become better, I thrive on exploration of potential. I also thrive on being seen as a person who is helpful, creating opportunity for others to explore their potential. The disagreement between this other person and myself is because that is not his why. In the end my why is not better or more right, it's just mine. Just as his is his.

And that is okay. We all have our own why. Some of us have explored what it is and some have not. Some people do what they do for immediate gratification or just self gratification, some for service of others and still some because they cannot be happy if they do not do what they are uniquely called to do. It is an attachment to the idea that others should agree that creates separation and challenge. Not everyone wants to explore the potential I see for them or support me in exploring potential for myself.

But as Yoga master Rod Stryker says, "the Vedic tradition is founded on the principle that, as individuals, our happiness is completely dependent on us fulfilling our own unique version of duty."

Not everyone will buy what I do, but that is not important. My own happiness is dependant on the expression of my unique purpose, not the outcome. I am not responsible for the happiness of others. They must find their own why. And as my good friend Jim Collins would say, if I move away from what I value, I will fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment