Sunday, January 5, 2014

Choosing the present

The morning is dark and cold. We are up early and did the post blizzard shoveling last night. We should have packed the car. Perhaps then I would not have forgotten my boots. But forget my boots I did. And this leads to new choices. Having arrived at the ski hill, do I spare the additional expense and rent boots, or do I enjoy the warm sunny table inside with hours before me of reading, writing and taking photos? From this cozy vantage point I can see Fynn coming off the jumps.

I can appreciate the many people braving the minus nine temperatures in pursuit of the next thrill. More importantly I can see this as opportunity or lost opportunity. I can allow it to impact my mood positively or negatively. I have chosen positive. 

I have potentially eight more weekends of this experience ahead. With minus nine, my ability to enjoy the outdoor experience is somewhat limited. I hear the many folks coming and going, reporting on frozen toes, fingers and just how cold it is. IEEE the many folks moving past the window with their entire face covered. Perhaps there is a reason my boots didn't get into the car this morning, perhaps not. Regardless, I get to chose what I do about it and how I do it. I get to chose seeing the beauty in this present moment or stay in the regret of forgetting in the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment