Saturday, October 1, 2011

Surrender

I see that in the folks who come to the Yoga classes I teach. Some really like pushing themselves as deeply into a pose as possible. These folks remind me of the athletes I know who are comfortable being uncomfortable. The irony is that what makes them really uncomfortable is to relax and surrender to a more comfortable version of a pose where the breath is steady and the mind is calm.

We all have comfort zones. Even when we are challenged there is a response that makes us comfortable. This week I was rejected. My comfort zone was to rally the "you're okay" from supporters and to, in turn, reject this person. As I went through my habitual response, (yep, I've been bullied before), I held tightly to how wrong this person was and how right I was.

I am not sure how it happened or where it came from, but a thought creeped through my consciousness. What would make me most uncomfortable would be to let that person know they are right. I am not and cannot be what they believe I should be. As the thought went through my mind, I realized a sense of empowerment behind it and a softening. He is right. And it is okay.

"I must sacrifice what I am for what I could become." I must sacrifice what I am... the expert climber I try to be, for what I could become... the real expression of my soul, a teacher and a creative force.
I am not an exceptional climber.
I am a person who loves to explore possibilities and create ways and space for people to learn and grow.
It is okay that some people want me to be an amazing climber and dislike that I am not pursuing that and supporting them. And it's okay that it is not what I want for myself. No one is wrong, we are all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment