Saturday, March 17, 2012

Confidence, courage and will

It's a Saturday morning and I am relaxing through the hangover of a week of March Break camps. Lots of youth, little and not so little, coming together to learn some stuff, have some fun and, most importantly for the parents, to be kept safe and sound while they (the parents) get to work. All these little lives coming together, many for the first time and many with very different backgrounds. Some happy, loving homes and others no home and violence. And yet all here for the same thing. How does an instructor make it work for all of them at the same time? When I walk into the Yoga studio to teach asana, how can I offer a positive experience for everyone?

It's tough. It's pretty much impossible. Or is it? I think it depends on what you measure.

I just watched Brene Brown, TED talks... the new one on shame. http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame.html?source=email#.T2Pj3twoiRB.email

None of us like to think about it, or talk about our shaem. Some people experience more shame than others. But we all have some. Perhaps if my goal is not to just teach a pose, rather my real goal is to make people feel safe, safe in their shame, then perhaps that is the path to success.

As I reflect on my own experiences with profound teachers, this is what I know. When there is a space to accept who I am as I see myself to be, then I am free to love me. And really that is the only way to continually build my confidence, courage and will. These qualities are the foundation for real change and allowing even more of me to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment