Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Becoming Your Best

"Negative thoughts and emotions are enormous drains on energy. Only by releasing those egoistic self-absorptions and attachments to success are we ever truly free to give 100 percent of ourselves, which is what every Big Project demands." Chris Sharma


Seven years ago my marriage was ending. I had a lot of negative thoughts. About my ex-husband, about myself, about my future. My dream was crushed.

It was very painful.

Except when I practiced Yoga. For some reason, on the mat, the mind became steady. My attention was no longer on my loss and grief, rather it settled in my heart and I felt lightness, joy, freedom from these burdensome thoughts. That was what made me choose to do a Yoga teacher training. I sought freedom. I wanted to understand how to have more of these moments. I caught glimpses of light in a world that everyone agreed was dark. I didn't need to teach. I needed to bring more light into my own life.

Last week I left my 13 year old son at a boarding school. I recognize this could be a time where I feel great loss. Many people have been sending me loving supportive thoughts. My little boy is now a young man. He is independent. My role as mother has changed, just as my role with my ex husband changed seven years ago. With seven years of practice, four years of daily meditation, I see light even in the moment of saying good bye. My heart is not heavy with sadness.

Advanced Yoga study was a very worthy investment in myself. An investment I continue to make.

When will you start?

No comments:

Post a Comment