Sunday, February 13, 2011

Opportunity

I sit and listen as Fynn goes through his card pack. We have returned from a visit with his father at a private boarding school. After an interesting four hour visit to the school, most of it spent in a closet during a lock down, I probed the young senior school students about their experience. I listened. Despite the discomfort of the room, the opportunity to be locked in with students gave insight not only to what they said, but how they were as people.

Openness was facilitated by the conversation with my seat mate on the plane. He had attended boarding school. In fact he was on his way to visit his own child at a school. Hearing the experience of someone with no power to influence my decision was an opportunity I could have missed if I had not engaged in conversation.

I challenged myself to be honest and vulnerable with someone I have difficulty trusting. It was the opportunity to feel so challenged that forced me to speak.

At the end of these very impressionable 48 hours the learning has been that by not knowing what is 'right' and not knowing how things should be, I have discovered more about myself, my intentions and my desires than if everything went the way I wanted it to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment