Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Stop the chase

I spent a good portion of the mid and late 90's driving back and forth across America and Canada climbing and teaching. There were countless hours of redpoint attempts, too many blocks of chalk to speak of, hours of driving, a great many nights of sleeping in a tent or a car. I climbed and when I was tired of climbing, I went to gyms and I taught people all I knew about climbing... all I knew about training and being the best climber they could be. I made very little money then.

Now I work for a big organization. I spend countless hours convincing people that what we do in our little racquetball court is meaningful. I lobby for people to be able to get in. I lobby for the climbers. I lobby for the organization that pays for the space, the lights and the heat. I lobby for the parents who want qualified and safe instructors and I lobby for the sport, indoors and out. I make better money now.

People used to come to me already convinced, or at least willing to see if I had something of value to offer. Now I chase people trying to convince them I have something of value to offer. Perhaps all this convincing is making me question myself. I wonder what would happen if I didn't chase them anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment