Thursday, February 3, 2011

From where I am.

Snow days are days for sitting and thinking. The world stops doing and there is nothing to do but think about where I am. Where am I? I notice that the process of determining where I am begins with assessing how everyone else sees me. Some people think of me as a great once-upon-a-time climber, some people see me as a bar-too-high-pain-in-the-ass, some people see me as strong and talented, some people see me as intense, stubborn, critical and hard to love.

The irony is we see ourselves through each others eyes. Through the eyes of my son, I see the power of my love and nurturing spirit. Through the eyes of a climbing friend, I see my physical strength and flexibility. Through the eyes of a co-worker I see my creativity. Through the eyes of a girlfriend, I see my beauty. Through the eyes of someone not a friend, I see my negativity, my stubbornness and inflexibility.

When I turn my gaze away from the eyes of others and place it on my own heart, I see all that I am and that it is always enough. I see my own truth and kindness. I see the falsity of all the other views of who I am, for no one person can know all of me. Just as I cannot truly and completely know anyone else. That only leaves room then to have faith that we are all beautiful - even when we don't act that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment