Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Power of Intention


In the book "The Power of Intention'" by Wayne Dyer, the main point is that the intention with which we do things is the what defines it. I have just bought a yoga studio. Prior to the purchase, I asked myself why I wanted to do this. I wanted to ensure I was doing it for the 'right' reasons. I felt I was doing it from a place of wanting to serve.

Now as I wrestle with the reality of marketing and budgeting, staffing and scheduling, I am less excited about my decision. My struggle with fear has me contemplating getting out. Those thoughts lead me to examining my intention again. I realize I have an even deeper intention. I made this step in order to also protect my position, my identity as a yoga teacher. After years of self study, I know teaching is my calling. I also know that fear of not being able to ensure my identity as teacher with a different studio owner was also a motivating factor in the purchase.

The Yoga Sutras state that non attachment and practice are the keys to freedom from suffering. As long as I hold onto the need to ensure the identity I have created for myself, I will suffer. Certainly in the many hard routes I have accomplished as a climber this was true. Only when I gave up the desperation for success on the route could I actually successfully climb it. So, it is I have come to notice when I give up worrying about the financial success of the studio, and focus on the content, the teachers and the community, my experience of my day is so much freer.

How could you live without plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment