Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Yoga Sutra 1:33

"Transparency of mind comes by embracing an attitude of friendliness, compassion, happiness, and non-judgement toward those who are happy, miserable, virtuous, and non-virtuous." The Secret of the Yoga Sutra by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, PhD.


Sounds like such a simple antidote to our negativity. And yet, it is very hard to change our minds. I recently had an encounter with someone and I am quite certain that person lied to me. I was suspicious. My mind went into judgemental thoughts, and I was telling myself that I know I am right.

The deeper investigation of why I want to be right reveals that the real issue is that this person is not treating me the way I want to be treated... honestly. This is about my own expectation to be respected, valued. This is about my fears of being betrayed. Ultimately, this negativity is about how I choose to interpret this event, and therefore, I have the power to decide if I really need this person to make me happy, or if I want to have that power.

Until I feel compassion for myself, until I am able to heal the part of me that needs to be treated respectfully in order to be happy, I will always struggle.

Have you found a way to self-compassion?

No comments:

Post a Comment