Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Rules to Live By


As the summer moves closer to fall and there are some potentially some tough decisions to be made, I find myself remembering these words daily. It is challenging when we feel pushed in directions we are not yet prepared to go. And yet, it is really the only way to live with integrity. I have to admit, I am not always doing the best that I can, nor am I always open in my communication, and I certainly have been known to take a few things personally. But at the very least my intention is not to harming myself or others. That should perhaps be the fifth rule to live by.

2 comments:

  1. Erich Mielke, head of the East German secret police, was called before the German parliament to explain asked to express his ruthless methods of suppressing political activists.

    Mielke then addressed the members as "Comrades." An enraged member arose and demanded that Mielke refrain from calling him that. A shattered Mielke first tried to justify his wording, "That is a question of formality," and then apologized. He, "raised his arms like an evangelist,"and cried, "I love – I love all – all Humanity! I really do! That is my reason for using it!"

    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have superficial intentions and then much deeper seated ones that we cannot always be aware of. I may believe I am a loving mother and do things for my sone I believe to be loving, when really my intention is to look like a good mother. It is only through deep seated self reflections we understand why we really do things. I would suggest there were deeper seated motivations in your example. Perhaps Miekle could only love all humanity that lived as he lived for it gave him a sense of validation.

    Curious... what is your intention in this reply and in remaining anonymous? Would be interesting to know. Great discussion.

    ReplyDelete