Thursday, June 23, 2011

Choosing enjoyment

Within the body there is a system called the Autonomic Nervous System. This is the system which "acts as a control system functioning largely below the level of consciousness." This is what makes the eyes blink, the heart beat and perspiration cool the skin, among other things. The Yogis have shown that this system can be brought to the conscious level. We can learn to control the beat of the heart, the temperature of the body. It takes awareness and practice.

So too.... we can control so many of the things we believe are beyond our control. We say we cannot control the weather. Is that true? Seems to me there is a lot of discussion around global warming which we as humans have an impact on. On a much more immediate level, we can also control our experience of the weather. I can choose to take an umbrella or where rain pants and jacket when it is raining, or not. I can choose whether I go out into the elements or not. I can choose to be grateful for the rain if I consider the potential drought and lack of food without rain. So why do I choose to resent the weather when it is not what I want it to be?

This too takes practice. Today as I went to meditate, I went to 'do' my practice. I was choosing to sit, but not from a place of intending to enjoy it or see value, rather from a place of obligation and discipline. As this awareness of my choice toward obligation rather than enjoyment grew, I decided to enjoy. I decided to be there only if I really choose to be.

It was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment